Wednesday, November 02, 2005

Respect


What do I have in common with a 92 year old black woman? Not much, other than the desire for all of us to be united. I have been inspired over the past few days of listening to the stories of Ms. Rosa Parks. She was truly a woman who personified dignity and she is a hero in my book.

Race issues are so touchy; no one wants use the wrong terms of course we have to be politically correct. All I know is I'm tired of segregation. On our campus even in 2005 there is still separation based on race. It is not forced, but chosen and both black and white are equally guilty.

At our church we are hoping to be an exception to the segregation that takes place at BGSU. Sure the people that come to h2o are mostly white, but so is most of the campus. This fall for the first time in a long time when I show up on Sundays I see a diverse group of people; Black, White, Asian, and Latino, and that makes me happy---it also makes God happy.

"You are all sons of God through faith in Christ Jesus, for all of you who were baptized into Christ have clothed yourselves with Christ. There is neither Jew nor Greek, slave nor free, male nor female, for you are all one in Christ Jesus. If you belong to Christ, then you are Abraham's seed, and heirs according to the promise." ~Galatians 3:26-29

3 Comments:

At 1:56 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 2:33 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 7:19 PM, Blogger Heather said...

Is segregation necessarily something for which we are "guilty?" (Don't get me wrong, I don't believe in discrimination). Just hear me out...
You are white. Most of your friends are white. It is not because you don't like black people. It is simply that your friends have had similar life experiences and share a similar cultural viewpoint. You worship in the same way. You talk in the same way. You think in the same way. Therefore, it is easier to relate to these people. Therefore, you naturally congregate with these people.

Is that necessarily wrong?
(again, I don't have the answers, I'm just asking the question.)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home